[pianotech] Pin Driving Fluid Search

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 07:17:31 MDT 2010

I'm interested in experimenting with pin driving fluid.  Coming up with
an actual product to use is a challenge, since the varnish formulations
have all changed for voc compliance.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

 From a post by Dale Erwin  a while ago  Duramac 207-1196  is the
straight phenolic resin  several  pin driving fluid guys are using...no
dryers or additivies, just the pure resin.  The product is no longer in
production(of course).  Mcwhorter Tech in Illinois will make me a batch
with a 40,000 gallon minimum order...yeah right...so that one's a
non-starter.

Here's another option, but it is a complete varnish, dryers and all.
Behlen still makes "Rock Hard Table Top Varnish".  This i s a short oil
formulation with the type phenolic resin which I think is appropriate
resin.  However, as a varnish coating it also includes dryers and additives.

Does anyone out there using pin driving fluid  use a full  varnish
product rather than  a straight phenolic resin?

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio
grandpianosolutions.com