[pianotech] Pully keys

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 15:18:29 MDT 2010

At 13:29 -0400 19/4/10, Mike Morvan wrote:

>...I think that keyboard manufacturers have finally realized the
>importance of a harder more wear resistant material in the balance
>rails and buttons because I'm seeing a lot of hardwoods (or harder
>woods) being used now than in the past. Now if we can just get them
>to stop using hot melt glue on their bushings, one battle at a time.

"Finally realized"??!  They've known it very well for two centuries.
Even Steinways have known it, and surely on older Ds they had a 4" or
5" maple undercarriage on the keys to strengthen them and provide a
hard balance hole, didn't they?  What I think you mean is that they
have realized their penny-pinching in the past is giving them hassle
or bad feedback or something. PR is far more important than quality.

And what's wrong with animal glue for the bushings?  It worked
perfectly well for 150 years and it works well now.  I've rebushed a
set of keys today with it.  What are you going to do to stop me, and
why?

JD