[pianotech] restoration

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 22 04:40:12 MDT 2010

Hi John,

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you about the prior sanding of the ivories. If you look carefully at the beginning of the sanding video, you can see that the ivory is worn in the middle. I think the first sanding was mostly to flatten the ivories. The peroxide alome might have whiten the ivories, but sometimes you really have to sand them flat in order to do a more even key level and consistent feel from one key to the next.

But I do like your idea of polishing the ivories by hand to make them feel better. What kind of chalk are you using?

Marcel