[pianotech] YC brackets

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 22 08:06:06 MDT 2010

Hi, Les:
    I've done a bunch of these.  Be careful getting the action out, since the hammers may be up too high to clear the pinblock.  If  the drop screws bury into the pinblock, you may have to break/cut the brackets.  Usually the glide bolts are set to raise the frame quite a bit, so you may be able to raise the bolts if necessary to release the action.  The replacement procedure is pretty easy, but you'll have to set the spread using calipers or whatever.  The newer model YC's spread is 113.5mm, but I can't recall which serial #'s those are.  You can call the service dept. and ask for their advice.  Check your resource guide for their number, as I don't have it handy.  You should be able to get the brackets for free, and they will offer some compensation, but it's not much.  You'll have to charge the customer for re-regulating the piano, especially if you had to move the glide bolts to get the action out.  You'll need some longer screws to mount the stack, since the new bracket feet will be taller than the old ones.  Just plug and redrill.  Often, a previous technician has adjusted the letoff buttons to compensate for blocking hammers.  Most likely you'll be screwing all the letoff dowels back up quite a ways to get the action to work again.  It's not hard.  If you can regulate an action, it's a piece of cake.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego