[pianotech] Pitman

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 22 11:08:07 MDT 2010

Be sure to retro-fit the pitman.   Search the archives, but there is an article in the Journal.
In a nut-shell:   The important this is the size of the existing hole in the keybed.   You want to be able to use that hole without enlarging if possible.   Cut 2 1"X1" pieces of shoe leather and drill a hole the depth of a front rail punching into both pieces.   You will glue something like a front rail punching onto both ends of numerous dowels of different lengths.   It has to fit into the existing keybed hole.   Probably 5/8" will be fine.   The dowel can be 3/8"  or 1/2'...   Dry fit with leather on pedal lever right where the old dowel went and under damper tray.   This will give you a chance to find the perfect spot when you move the pedal up and down.   Mark and glue leather pieces to tray and lever.   Install and you won't have a noise there in the future.   One note:   I would initially put measure for the dowel using the existing set up.   You don't want such a short dowel that the lever hits the bottom of the keybed (duh).   You want room for stop felt on top of the lever.   The original set up should give you an idea of where to start...

Hope is this is more clear than mud...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044