[pianotech] YC brackets

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 22 23:56:17 MDT 2010

I have never done this repair.   We on the List are VERY LUCKY now as we are well apprised of what is in front of us with all the posts about this procedure.   WHICH IS VERY GOOD.   Otherwise, think of all the time to figure it out...call Young Chang...blah, blah, blah.   It is very important to be totally up front with the customer.   You do NOT want to be doing this for little or nothing.   LESSON #1:   DON'T MAKE IT YOUR PROBLEM.  I would tell the customer YC will cover the $200 plus the parts (I think that's right).   That will not cover the repair by a long shot.   I have no idea exactly how much time it will take.
#1:  I will have to be on the phone to YC to get authorization and all that entails.   Figure 1 hour of office time and bringing the parts to the piano minimum.
#2:  Just removing the action (not easy) and replacing the brackets will take at a couple of hours.   At that point we can see what is front of us.   It is all by the hour.   I will do it here in front of you in the comfort of your house as quickly as I can.
#3:  You will have to pay me for my my time doing this repair until when we decide were done.   What does that mean?   At some point the piano will play pretty well and you will be tired of spending money.
#4:  YC will re-imburse you for the $200.

Now, I am busy and really not looking for this kind of work.   But I would not take it on unless the client understands and agrees to everything above.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044