[pianotech] Pully keys

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Apr 23 15:59:23 MDT 2010

 Inre easing balance rail holes, I asked:

And, if an awl is used to size the holes,is it inserted from the bottom of the key?
JD writes:

Yes, and here are a some pictures of the Kirkman key I said I'dtake, still working perfectly after 150 years

 Hmm, then the largest diameter is at the bottom, and the  real contact is 3 mm away from the bottom of the key.
I have found that using the flat-sided,  tapered burnisher from the top allows the smallest diameter to be at the bottom of the hole and a slight widening above it, where the pin would need clearance upon rotation of the key on the pin..  It's my experience that I can get a firmer fit to last a longer time by easing the hole from the inside.

Ed Foote RPT