[pianotech] Possible antivirus software misconceptions

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 17:33:31 MDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Duaine Hechler <dahechler at att.net> wrote:

> Garret,
>
> Consider yourself - e x t r e m e l y - lucky !
>
> Garret Traylor wrote:
> >
> > I know it’s a bummer when you get a virus; but go figure, I have been
> > using windows since windows was cool and have never gotten a virus.
> > One must have practice safe habits.
> > Garret
> >

>  --
> Duaine Hechler
> Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
> Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding
> Reed Organ Society Member
> Florissant, MO 63034
> (314) 838-5587
> dahechler at att.net
> www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
> --
> Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years

That gentlemen/ladies is why I stopped paying for antivirus software many
years ago.

The first virus I got was while I had a paid version of McAfee and while I
was looking around for methods to rid myself of it I discovered others with
paid versions of Norton, Kapersky and others had picked up the same virus.

Once I was rid of it I went to Cnet, PC World and other sources to read
reviews of the free antivirus software available and chose one. Avira first
and now Avast w/Zonealarm as my stand alone firewall. Both available from
Cnet.

I also keep updated versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Super
Antispyware on my computer at all times for whatever may get through.

Both of the above are available from majorgeeks.com

Mike

--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

   Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service