[pianotech] Is CA accelerator necessary?

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 20:06:00 MST 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Michael Staples <mastaples at gmail.com> wrote:

I understand that the accelerator makes the CA glue that it contacts set
> immediately, but on the one (and only) pin block CA treatment I've done
> (with one fan in the window and another next to the pin block), I did not
> find the CA glue fumes bothersome, but the accelerator fumes were almost
> unbearable.  Why should I use CA accelerator on a pin block or in any other
> piano related CA application?

Yeah, I particularly don't like the accelerator fumes. The CA fumes are bad
enough--irritates my eyes, but not my lungs so much. I also don't see any
need to use accelerator for a pin block treatment.

There are times that I'll used accelerator for other things. Broken hammer
shank or head, broken keystick on a cheap piano, etc. And I've had to use it
on a few unglued hammer felts which didn't respond well to CA and Titebond
used together. Probably some other things, but those are what I can think of
right off the top.

--
JF