[pianotech] 1904 Steingraeber 56" OVERDAMPER upright

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Fri Dec 3 01:07:19 MST 2010

Photo sharing  problems aside I can share a few thoughts (experiences) sight unseen.

I concur with Tony- there is not much different  or special (in principle) about regulating or tuning an over damper piano.  I can offer a  few tips though -

- Regulate blow, let-off etc with the damper assembly off the action.  This lets you see what is going on.  (Wear ear protection if needed, as all the ringing while setting dip and checking can drive you crazy).

- Some older German overdampers do not have hammer return springs and this makes it more difficult to set  let-off.  In this case, prop up the rear casters 5 cm or so, i.e. tilt the piano forward so that the hammers fall back easier and let-off is easier to see.

- Tuning - tilt back the action to strip mute the tenor and treble. Tune the center strings.  Remove mute strip and finish tuning using a Papps mute. Strumming along the strings with the mute will tell you exactly where you are and where you need to insert it.  Piece of cake.  The bass strings should be mute-able (is that a word? now it is!) with tuning wedges above the dampers.

One word of caution - replacing the damper felt on these animals is not for the faint of heart.  You need to copy the original configuration which will be end grain felt.  I think I have some of that material if you are up for a good challenge....but don't say you weren't forewarned...

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440