[pianotech] A temperament for a harpsicord

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Fri Dec 3 17:08:16 MST 2010

Phil:

I always liked the Thomas Young temperament.  I don't know what you need for a SAT but the offsets (in cents) are:

C 6
C# 0
D 2
D# 4
E -2
F 6
F# -2
G 4
G# 2
A 0
A# 6
B -2

That's what I always used on harpsichord.  It's very symmetrical i.e. C is the smoothest key, F# the farthest from just, and E-flat and A are almost identical to ET.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu