[pianotech] Trimming bottoms of keys

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Dec 4 19:22:34 MST 2010

I was called on to clean up a PianoDisc install done by someone else. The
keys had a pronounced slope on the tail end so the installer glued on these
extensions to make the bottoms flat. Trouble is they were all over the place
dimensionally so it was impossible to get the  solenoid rails properly
adjusted.

The simple solution came to me in the middle of the night. I just set up a
router table with a 1/2 " square cutter bit and ran the action across the
table.

I brought the bit up very slowly and made several passes. The keys tended to
bounce as they came over the bit so I thought of hanging the lead leveling
weights off the back checks. Worked beautifully. It wasn't perfect, but it
was good enough to let things work and it only took about 30 minutes. Keys
came out nice, straight and square. 10 year old helper, Elijah, kept it from
falling on the floor. :-)

Dean

Dean W May                (812) 235-5272

PianoRebuilders.com    (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802