[pianotech] Hammer Softener

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 6 07:44:16 MST 2010

Hi John,

You'd be amazed at the results that can be had with softener on over-lacquered hammers. When I was on staff a Illinois Wesleyan, ALL the Steinways qualified for the treatment. Just go slow, because you CAN over do it. If you need to, you can always use a hardener again, but I wouldn't want to go back and forth a lot! Denatured alcohol works, too.

Actually, I sort of liked working with those hammers. After I softened them where (in the hammer) I wanted, I could treat them (voicing-wise) like "regular" hammers.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois