[pianotech] Hammer Softener

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 20:03:30 MST 2010

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Wim, I was using three needles the other day, but also tried my single
"ring" needle tool that I got from Jurgen a few years ago. Love that thing,
by the way.

I'm wondering about the concept of steam voicing on lacquered hammers. Will
that even work well since we're dealing with actual hard substances in the
hammer--as opposed to hard felt? For instance, the treble hammers are crusty
hard. Rubbing a fingernail along the sides of the hammers reveals this.

I do carry the stuff for steam voicing, so I might give that a try if the
other methods don't give good results.

--
JF