[pianotech] Pain Hurts

Tom Rhea, Jr. rheapiano at cox.net
Wed Dec 8 05:54:27 MST 2010

Hi Geoff, et al,

It's funny that you should mention pain, because I empathize with you
completely.  A couple of days ago I was diagnosed with advanced
Osteoarthritis in my left knee  Yesterday, I was working on an Acrosonic
Spinet with a broken D42 string (another long story) and had to be down on
my knees removing it from the hitch pin.  Needless to say, my left knee is
quite painful - again!

Hang in there with the injured thumb, though; it will get better.  There is
a technique that involves a sterilized, heated pin (an extended paper clip)
that can be used to lance your thumbnail if the pressure and pain become too
much.  While you can do this yourself, it may be better to have it done by
someone with experience.  Draining the accumulated blood under the nail will
allow the injury to heal faster though you will probably lose the nail
faster.  Don't worry though, it will grow back out.

I hope you feel better soon.

Tom

  _____