[pianotech] Retirement

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Wed Dec 8 23:37:33 MST 2010

The talk about disability brought another topic to my mind.....retirement.

And not just retirement in general, but how we get $$$ when we retire.  We all assume that Social Security will be there when it is time.  For some of us it may be, but for the younger generation, we just don't know.

I am trying my best to scrap aside anything I can to put in a IRA or any retirement account, and it just ain't working very well.  I do know this.  I am paying an arm and a leg into social security.  I am not paying into SS for MY retirement, it just goes to whoever, maybe you!

I do know that if I quit paying into SS, I can sure use that money and fund an honest to goodness IRA that'll be there when I need it!

What is everyone's take on this?

1)  You are not breaking any laws by not paying into SS.
2)  If you still have 35 or 40 years left to work, do ya think money from the government will be there for you?  Especially when they just raised the retirement age.

I hope I didn't open up any cans of worms.  If I did, oh well, I can't stop ya from thinking what you want.  I just want some opinions on this subject.

Thanks!

TODD PIANO WORKS
Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
(979) 248-9578