[pianotech] fees

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Dec 9 18:20:57 MST 2010

On 12/9/2010 3:25 PM, Paul T Williams wrote:
> I say, if you want to learn on the sly, just talk to a few tuner
> friends in your area.  The prices vary wildly area to area. ....and I
> mean drastically different from west coast to mid-west to east coast,
> affluent area, rural area, and the like.  Not sure where you are, so
> just see what bites.

When I had just finished my piano tuning course I was trying to figure
out where to locate. As I drove across the country, and then down the
California Coast, when I took a break I'd check the yellow pages, and
then phone a piano tuner to "see what it would cost to tune an upright."
I didn't reveal that at the time I had no upright.

I didn't just get information about the going rate in the area, I also
got a strong impression of how much work was there. I felt sorry for
people who would so painstakingly go into the definition of a pitch
raise. I felt kind of like a bum for leading them on when they sounded
so anxious, but it seemed that it would be best for all concerned if I
learned which places had a shortage of work and too many struggling
technicians, and which might have room for someone new. In one place,
for instance, someone put right in his yellow pages display ad (in a
column with several others): "Same Day Tuning!" I shuddered, and got
back in the car.

I also checked the classified ads to find out what an apartment or house
would rent for. A dollar figure for a fee is relatively meaningless if
one doesn't know what the cost of living and business overhead will be
in that area.

Susan Kline