[pianotech] fees

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:40:01 MST 2010

I encourage anyone with a website to post their rates. It gets the
information right out there where everyone can see.

I have issues with the whole idea of a "normal tuning". I assume that means
no pitch raise necessary? And perhaps this also means that you are basically
just turning pins.

Just tuning a piano is generally not good piano service. We got away from
charging for a tuning around 10 years ago. Granted, there are times when a
service appointment is taken up with mostly tuning, but that is rare. Many
clients don't really even know what tuning is. What they are after when they
schedule their appointment is a higher quality of experience when they play
their piano.

So my advice is to charge enough to motivate yourself to do all those little
extra things that will deliver exceptional service to your client:  Tighten
the bench, vacuum out the interior, lubricate key pins, take up lost motion,
adjust the hammer line and or let-off, even out the voicing, get the clunk
and the squeak out of the pedal, etc. There is never any shortage of tasks
to fill your time.

One of the frequent things I hear my clients say is "the last tuner never
did all that!".

Generally technicians underestimate what they can get away with charging for
their services. For the past few years we have been raising our rates at
least 6% every year around July or August. Our rule is that if we have been
consistently booked up throughout the year then we go ahead and raise them.
More frequent increases are less of a shock to clients. The few clients we
lose over an increase is more than made up for by the increased income.

If you are not raising your rates, keep in mind that you are actually
getting a pay cut due to inflation which is around 3% per year.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter