[pianotech] disability insurance

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Fri Dec 10 23:27:35 MST 2010

Workmans' comp is a state run insurance policy, administered by private insurance companies. Some state require independent business people, like piano tuners, to purchase workman's comp. SOif you pay into the program, and get hurt on the job, you can collect. In some states it's voluntary, (you may purchase it if you want). SOme states do not allow the owner of a company to buy into the workmans' comp program. There are also state that only require a company to purchase workman's comp if they have more than a certain number of people on the payroll. (In Missouri, I didn't have to buy workmans' comp because I only had 5 employees. But when one of them got hurt on the job, and I was required, by law, to pay his medical costs, and his 2 weeks out of work).

Bottom line: Check with your state's employment agency to see what the rules are.

Wim