[pianotech] knocking noise in Kawai KG-2S

Paul Mulik tubist at swbell.net
Sun Dec 12 21:09:52 MST 2010

Hello list,

A couple of days ago I did a couple of tunings for a church, and just as I was
about to leave they asked me to have a quick look at a third piano, a Kawai
KG-2S grand.  I literally had one minute to look at it, as the choir was
entering the room to practice.  I didn't have time to pull the action.

Anyway, the lowest 5 or 6 bass notes had, in addition to their normal
sound, a knock, like wood knocking against wood.  Is this likely to be due to a
gap between the key frame and the keybed, or should I look for something else?
I'm going back on Monday to have a better look.

Thanks,
Paul Mulik, Joplin MO