[pianotech] screwing around - literally

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Dec 14 14:12:35 MST 2010

Steinway plate bolts are $8 a piece. Not sure of the screw price (around
the tuning pins).  Is that cheaper still than replating?

Just wondering....

Paul

From:
"Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett at earthlink.net>
To:
"pianotech" <pianotech at ptg.org>
Date:
12/14/2010 01:28 PM
Re: [pianotech] screwing around - literally

Donn, (with two n's<G>), said:
 "How does one go about rehab-ing screw heads? In particular:
1 - Removing burrs and polishing the face to leave a flat surface
2. Cleaning or re-cutting the slot. In fact, what kind of tool is used to
cut the slot in the first place?
3. Has anyone experimenting with using DIY chrome plating kits?
Thanks for the help.

Donn,
Removing burrs, etc., can be done with a fine file. The original "slot"
was cut with a Slot Cutter, which is the reason why the bottom of the
"slot" is curved and tends to promote screwdrivers failure to function
properly.<G> I like to clean out the "slots" with a hacksaw. This
accomplishes two things: 1. Slightly deepens the slot. 2. flattens the
bottom of the slot. As far as polishing the screws, I use  buffing wheels
with appropriate buffing compounds. Then, I clean them, thoroughly with
lacquer thinner. Then, I get out my trusty Gun Bluing Kit, follow the
directions and BLUE them puppies! If you want to plate them, it's cheaper
to just buy new ones, already plated!<G> (if you can find them.) Since
APSCO bit the dust, the screw situation is difficult, IMHO.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I