[pianotech] Item found inside pianos

John Ashcraft jaashcraft at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 16:28:37 MST 2010

My favorite was an object I encountered in a church in San Francisco while
removing about 3 inches of dust and lint from inside the lowest regions of
an upright. I gingerly grasped clumps and dropped them into a garbage can.
When I felt something solid, I shook the dust off and saw a butcher knife. I
took it home, cleaned off the corrosion, sterilized it, and spent about an
hour getting it sharp. I have never seen such thin, hard, flexible steel.
It's an old Henckels 8" knife and is easily our best knife.
My take on its history: a murder weapon dropped into a church piano where it
would never be found!
--John Ashcraft