[pianotech] Key Balancing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Dec 16 16:46:54 MST 2010

On 12/16/2010 3:14 PM, Daniel Carlton wrote:

> How do you decide how wood much to take off? Do you just do it till it
> feels right?
>
> Daniel

I take it from just aft of the front mortise, to about the back of the
key top, about 3 millimeters in from the edges. I'm not awfully worried
about feel on C-8 in spinets and consoles, but it does relieve the
extreme front heaviness and makes them work where they didn't before.
Strictly meatball surgery. Quick and dirty, but cheap and effective
under the circumstances. I've done it on new pianos that didn't work, as
well as old pianos that still didn't work; lots of them. No down side
that I can see, as long as you don't whack a finger.

Incidentally, this is a pocketknife fix. it takes a narrow blade with a
curved edge to make the sweep without chopping it up. I wouldn't
recommend a utility knife or chisel.

Ron N