[pianotech] Key balancing

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 17 05:59:21 MST 2010

I've found lots of spinets with leads on the back of keys.   They are called Jiffy-Leads, and are sold in the supply catalogs.  It's a bubble-gum, band-aid, bailing wire fix, but it works and it's cheap.  Most folks don't notice the heavier touch, and it gets the job done.  I'd rather fix the  problem, but often it's more than just the key friction that causes the sluggishness, and I'd rather not get into removing the action on an old spinet if the problem is in there.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego