[pianotech] Bridge Cracks

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Dec 18 16:53:27 MST 2010

At 18:20 -0500 18/12/2010, Paul Milesi, RPT wrote:

>Yesterday I tuned a 12-yr-old S&S B...I was dismayed to find the
>treble bridge had small cracks on virtually all front pins, and on
>many there appeared to be a small gap on the string side...I presume
>(not a rebuilder) replacing or
>recapping the bridge is most desirable, but would CA treatment be
>appropriate to this instrument as an interim measure?  How likely is that to
>yield significant improvements?

I doubt if CA glue would do any good at all.  Epoxy (eg. West
Systems) would probably do the trick though.  I'd wait till things
are at their very driest and then pull the pins with a suitably
adapted miniature Mole wrench or impact puller. Then apply the epoxy
to the hole, enough to fill all gaps round the pin when it is
replaced. When the epoxy is half set it is easy to remove cleanly the
excess round the top of the pin and from the bridge capping.  The job
will take a bit of time but the result should be durable unless you
have a really soft bridge.

JD