[pianotech] Moving a piano from Los Angeles to Fairbanks

Roger@Integra.net rgable at integra.net
Mon Dec 20 16:51:17 MST 2010

Alan,
Years ago I knew a piano dealer who shipped his new pianos from Europe to the U.S. via barge. It was a disaster. The pianos were exposed to the saltwater elements for too long. He later switched to air freight, and to his surprise it was cheaper. I learned from his mistakes when I began shipping pianos from Europe. When picking up your freight from the airport you didn't have the hassles from the labor unions which "owned" the seaport docks. In your situation I would investigate using Alaska Air Cargo, they fly from LA into Fairbanks. You'll, of course need to have a local piano moving company pick up the crated piano at the airport. Also, anybody needing to ship pianos internationally would best use a shipping broker to create the paperwork. Without the proper paperwork you may find yourself confronted with a barrage of delays.
Roger Gable