[pianotech] Scrunch time with no key for access

Les Koltvedt t4348lk at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 15:06:26 MST 2010

Take the case apart...?

Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 15:14:53 -0600
From: "Mr. Mac's" <tune-repair at allegiance.tv>
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: [pianotech] Scrunch time with no key for access

List,

Went to tune this Cable Spinet piano (see image) in a Golden Corral restaurant
Monday morning.

Ooops,  what do I find, a hasp and a lock restricting opening the fall board.
And do I have a key ? of course not. Does the restaurant have a key ? no  way.
It is now 9AM.

I made a phone call and discovered I would  have to leave to get one of two keys
available elsewhere in the city and  get the job done before the restaurant
doors at 11AM . Didn't want to  do try making it happen, but what choice did I
have.

But wait,  the lightbulb of there is another way to circumvent making that trip
for the key and accomplish the task at hand.

I ended up tuning the piano (two passes), brushed the hammer faces with a brass
brush and cleaned the keys. Voila!

Care to guess how this was could be?

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern, RPT