[pianotech] blasting cabinet construction?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Dec 22 21:09:48 MST 2010

On 12/22/2010 8:39 PM, jimialeggio wrote:
> With a siphon feed blasting gun (beads) in a blasting cabinet, can the
> cabinet be made of plywood and still be expected to perform long term
> without eroding in a couple of years? Bill Spurlock's article mentions
> 1/4" plywood...seems a bit wimpy, but maybe not.
>
> Trying to simplify this as much as possible, and would like to avoid
> lining the thing with sheet metal. I'm planning to use siphon feed not
> pressure feed, because although siphon is slower, it seems much easier
> to contain and recycle the process.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Jim I

I think the secret might lie in not pointing the gun directly at the
walls at close range for any length of time. Aim at the blastee instead,
and it'll probably be fine.

Perspective/orientation: What keeps the viewing port transparent enough
to see what you're doing? Answer: not directly blasting it. If it hurts
when you do that, don't do that.

Passing thoughts.
Ron N