[pianotech] Announcing "The Sounds of Temperament"

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Fri Dec 24 22:35:03 MST 2010

Folks, I've just posted a new addition to my rollingball site.
Click here -- http://www.rollingball.com/TemperamentSounds/player.html
Or go to http://www.rollingball.com/TemperamentsFrames.htm, and in the left
navbar, click on "The Sounds of Temperament."

What you will find is six of my charts -- E.T. Major chords, E.T. Minor
chords, Young Major, Young Minor, and Aaron Meantone major and minor. On
each of these charts, you can click on any of the columns and hear the sound
of that chord. This makes it easy to hear the key-color differences between
all the 24 chords in the Young temperament, whose major thirds range from
about 5 cents to the full Pythagorean 21.5. The Meantone (Aaron's 1/4
syntonic) lets you hear the wolf fifth in full howl, without having to
torture your piano by tuning some of your notes 19 cents sharp.

The sounds themselves were created using a Kurzweil piano and a Korg synth.
 Not a real piano, sorry. But this setup makes it easy to adjust the tuning
and record the sound -- way easier than tuning and retuning a piano. So,
apologies in advance for this bit of inauthenticity. The results do provide
an experience of the critical differences between these types of
temperaments.

I trust many of you will find this useful. I'll be happy to get feedback,
especially if anything is not working right, or if you have suggestions for
further additions.

Jason

--
jason's cell 425 830 1561