[pianotech] How does fog freeze? (Not so OT when you have to drive to a tuning)

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sat Dec 25 02:28:44 MST 2010

Yes, good point Alan, not entirely off-topic after all!  We got the snow
too!

I'm sending another few pics, in a couple of posts, just because the
effect of the frost is beautiful.  We think that it's what is called
"rime" (as in "frost and rime").  It has been able to happen both
because of the cold fog, and because there hasn't been any wind at all.

The icicles didn't come off my car as I drove around.

An online source says of "rime":

> Rime is a type of ice. It is water droplets that become suspended in
> clouds when temperatures are below freezing. When the move out of the
> cloud, the droplets freeze quickly when they contact anything solid
> (i.e., a mountain, plant, or building). The freezing droplets coat the
> object with what appears to be snow or ice, but is it actually much
> more delicate.
>
> Rime poses a significant problem to climbers in areas such as
> Patagonia, particularly near Cerro Torre, where climbers are often
> forced to explore knew routes to avoid climbing on the delicate rime.
> Because Cerro Torre, and to a lesser extent Fitz Roy, are shrouded in
> clouds quite frequently, rime frequently forms on the rock and on
> Cerro Torre's mushroom cap.
>
> <http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_Rime#ixzz19768TeoU>
Best wishes,

David Boyce.