[pianotech] middle pedal

Conrad Hoffsommer choffsommer at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 28 04:21:02 MST 2010

Lar,

I call that a "chaperone" pedal. It's only there to keep the others separated.  Back in the 70's, I went to do a warranty service call for a middle pedal which didn't work. Turned out the customer was right.  Kimball el cheapo PSO 37" spinet.  Center pedal was just for show.   It was not connected to anything, nor was it ever intended to be. Pianos have three pedals, right? The salesperson didn't have to explain why it only had two. That was also a model which didn't have bridle tapes, either - glad I didn't have to pull the action.

Conrad Hoffsommer