[pianotech] Louder, after tuning? (simplified)

Conrad Hoffsommer choffsommer at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 29 15:15:52 MST 2010

Good question Keith,

Does an out of tune unison sound alternately louder and softer? We call it beating, right? When the strings are out of sync, they are softer than when they are reinforcing each other.

I think the phenomenon Ron N. encounters is that the out of tune envelope feels larger because of the plethora of jangling harmonics. Just like a pure M3 sounds quieter than a tempered one.

I'd like to see the results from a dB meter for a non-guessified answer, unlike mine.

Conrad Hoffsommer