[pianotech] Fallboard Retainer Device (Steve)

Mr. Mac's tune-repair at allegiance.tv
Thu Dec 30 10:24:26 MST 2010

On Dec 30, 2010, at 6:18 AM, Stephen Grattan wrote:

> Ours vary in that yours is fastened by a screw and mine is more like a spring lined with felt. I actually like yours better as it is more stationary. …

Steve,

The stationary concept I demonstrated was mainly for pianos in university practice rooms that I service.
btw: the link has changed for continuity to a new location:
http://pianostuff.kamcam.com/techgoodies/video/device.html

However, your concept should definitely be more adaptable for field use like James would like to have.
I sincerely believe he and others on this list would be greatly interested in your design.

Looking forward to some pics.

Keith

PS - As an side: I actually have used one other method of retaining the fall board on a grand piano.
         Once I drilled a hole through my mother's fall board into the stretcher block? and installed a wood tapping screw.
         She was a piano teacher in her time, and this worked without fail and to her satisfaction.
         The piano has since moved on to another person, and that retaining screw is still in use today.