[pianotech] Tool Care - was Tool Cases

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 30 16:29:44 MST 2010

James,
If you hear the sound of your tools clattering together while you are
looking for something in your kit, then, no, your system is not in the same
league as mine. There is a limit to which we should
sort/encapsolate/protect our tools. I think I may be a bit more picky,
(read anal), about my tool kit. The Tool Kit is what our clients look at
when we set to work. If it is not, nicely orderly and clean, they will not
get the best impression of the fine work that we do. In your case, you've
been a tech a lot longer than me, so I suspect your reputation precedes you
and gives you more leeway in that regard. If the tool kit is well
organized, we are able to do an unbelieveable amount of work in a very
short time. I've had clients sit, quietly, in fascination, as I do a whole
bunch of stuff to their piano. Those things were above and beyond the scope
of tuning.<G> I think that there was no objection raised or any worried
looks, was beccause I am organized and careful in the work process, as I'm
sure you are. The difference, probably, is how you were taught. For me, I
had a mentor, who I dearly loved and respected, who was only organized in
his own mind. He would send me out to the car to find things in bags that
were in little boxes, that were in bigger boxes, that were in certain areas
of his VW Square back, that most certainly had a constant hernia! I could
never find a darned thing, no matter how he described where it was! I vowed
to NEVER be that slap-dash with all of the expensive stuff that we put into
the necessities of our trade. I think I have succeeded in that endeavor,
but not to the nth degree that some may have. The bottom line is: I can
count on one hand, the tools that I no longer possess, because of some kind
of misuse, and still have fingers left.<G>
My tuning hammer goes into it's special bag and is firmly strapped in place
in the kit. I almost never open my case and find a tool out of place, even
with all the schlepping I do.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.