[pianotech] Louder, after tuning? (simplified)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Dec 30 20:44:36 MST 2010

On 12/30/2010 8:21 PM, jimialeggio wrote:
> This is interesting... I agree with Ron's perception that the tuned
> unison "feels" or "is" (not sure which) apparently less loud than an
> un-tuned unison. I also hear a reduction in sustain, at least in the treble.

That's why I keep saying it *sounds* less loud to me in tune. No claim,
no smoke, that's just my perception.

> So the question is, if the amplitude of a tuned unison can indeed be
> shown to be greater than a slightly out of tune unison via oscilloscope,
> what is causing the opposite perceived effect, at least to my ear?
> Thoughts:

I'd prefer to get some objective decibel measurements to see if the
numbers differ, in which direction, and how much before trying to
explain an undefined phenomenon.

It'll be a few days, but I'll see what I can do.

Ron N