[pianotech] Louder, after tuning? (simplified)

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 22:48:04 MST 2010

> Some basic definitions follow:
>
> discordant - harsh and jarring because of a lack of harmony
> harmony - the combination of simultaneously sounded musical notes to produce chords and chord progressions having a pleasing effect
"chords having a pleasing effect"....to whose sensibilities.  I love
Schoenberg and atonality, and my jazz is extremely chromatic and
"dissonant" according to some definitions. However I think the actual
physical sensation of those sounds, pleasing...I find them beautiful.
On the other hand, on a piano, in ET, I can find thirds, the most basic
building block of western harmony rather "noisy" and unpleasant...

The definition of harmony seems to be rather subjective...also
culturally defined.

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio