[pianotech] Applying PVC-E vs. European

Duane McGuire pianoman at duanemcguire.com
Fri Jan 1 11:30:44 MST 2010

I appreciate the great resource of this list.   I've been lurking
about for some time and learning from the many posts.  A couple of
days ago, I asked the question about PVC-E glue and key tops.   It has
been an impressive response, and very helpful to me.  I took the easy
road on this set of keys and went with the no-clamping solution.  I
have a clamp setup with trap springs exactly like David Love
describes.  I used it with pyralin back in the day.   I was attempting
to use that clamp system when I originally posted.  The key was
slip-sliding around on the key top, and I was frustrated!  I suspect
that the clamping arrangement would have worked fine if I had less
squeeze-out and if I'd allowed a bit of "tack time" before clamping.

This is my own piano, and I'm happy to experiment.  I'm looking
forward to the results of Debbie's experimental investigation.
--
Duane McGuire
801-830-5858

--