[pianotech] glues and clamping

Mike Morvan keymaestro at verizon.net
Fri Jan 1 12:58:10 MST 2010

List,
    I have read thru all of these emails and realized that it is not clear that we are applying separate tops and fronts not molded 1 piece tops, this confuses things and changes things. We glue and clamp the tops, let them dry and then glue on the fronts, pretty simple. I can see why there is resistance to clamping because keys do slide around, it takes extra time, and requires more equipment that is not readily available or easily made. Furthermore, pvc-e is occasionally marketed by some as "not requiring clamps", and contact cement does not require clamps, just an application of pressure. With the molded 1 piece tops, if one chooses to clamp, they have to clamp the "top" and the "front" at the same time. Or in the case of contact cement, apply pressure to the top and front at the same time. There is currently no clamping system available to do this (that I know of) and I don't believe the old Oslund system addresses this issue either because one of our clamping systems is an Oslund clamping setup and I don't see it as an option.  When we were putting on the 1 piece tops, we chose to clamp them. This meant that the top and the front had to be clamped separately, but at the same time as well. This took extra time and some truly custom stuff. Ultimately the hassle of clamping in this fashion, combined with the restrictions we found in working with 1 piece molded tops, inspired us to look for better options. Fortunately, the answer was there the whole time, simply go back to the time tested and proven method in which it was originally done, which is to apply separate tops & fronts. In the beginning it was more difficult, time consuming, and a costly nightmare to tool-up, but the results are well worth it and we've never looked back.  I agree with the posts, do what's best for the client within their budget, and I realize that every technician is an individual with different knowledge, equipment, and abilities. All of these things I have mentioned are open for interpretation and do not imply the right or wrong way of doing things, just what we have found to work well for us. Happy New Year   Mike

BLACKSTONE VALLEY PIANO
Michael A. Morvan
76 Sutton Street
Uxbridge, Ma 01569