[pianotech] Applying PVC-E to new plastic keytops

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Jan 1 14:34:39 MST 2010

I press it down gently first to get  squeeze out and then wipe the excess
off the sides before setting the key down so that the glue isn't running
down onto the platform.  I do use PVC-E and haven't had any problems with
it.   A light clamping is all that's necessary and on tops with molded
fronts this particular clamping arrangements holds the fronts securely to
the front of the key while the glue sets.

On the glue subject I imagine there are other glues that work well, maybe
better, but I've not had a reason to look further so I haven't.  I don't
care to use contact cement as I find the failure rate high and the glue
itself can mar the surface of the keytop if it gets on there.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com