[pianotech] was hearing - earplugs while tuning

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 1 21:27:50 MST 2010

They make you deaf- which is why I now wear hearing aids..  Joke, ok!  I
used Rock Stars II plugs, sold to by my present audiologist, and found they
only filtered the "bang", and not the sound which comes with the decay of
the fundamental. To me, they were shock protectors.  Mine came with six
different sets of filters, giving quite a latitude in their possibilities.
I used a "pounder" for some time, and then was encouraged to practice tuning
more softely. It has paid off..    My experience was 100% positive.
However, genetics, airplanes, motorcycles, and power saws took their toll,
and I do wear hearing aids these days..

lb

  _____