[pianotech] Applying PVC-E to new plastic keytops

jim ialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 13:05:33 MST 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 11:40 AM, David Love <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>wrote:

> Why would that be necessary?

Maybe not necessary.  However, in general when I do any clamping I try to
avoid applying pressure at only one point, because nothing is perfectly
straight. Any trimming method which involves holding a thin 1/2 "  bent
ketstick during a router cut, or especially anything mounted on most drill
presses, is prone to some inaccuracy during the 88 note run somewhere;
probably not on every key, but probably on some or a few. Further, at least
on the mineral plastic and theran, the plastic sometimes takes on a out
of-plane-ness that needs to be straightened in the clamp.

Clamping at only a single point tends to flex these slightly imperfect
planes and clamp unevenly. The relieved caul gets around this possibility a
little better. At least that's how I approach the problem. Other approaches
obviously work for other people. Not a biggy.

Jim I