[pianotech] Belly Deflection Experiment was reversing crown

jim ialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 11:34:59 MST 2010

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 2:12 PM, <paulrevenkojones at aol.com> wrote:

>  JIm:
>
> Did you develop any data with this, take any pictures, create documentation
> etc. that would be helpful, write-able up? Please?

Paul,

This is a response to your request for further info regarding my rc&s belly
load experiment. I've written 3 attempted responses but chucked them...let
me try this one. If this response seems coy or obfuscatory, please accept my
apologies in advance. I have sincerely put time in to this response, and am
trying to be helpful to those like me who  are seriously trying to wrap
their minds around belly issues.

The purpose of my experiment was help me to form a clear visual image of
what is happening to a loaded board from a purely structural perspective. No
publication was envisaged, as the test process which was already quite time
intensive, would have had to take 10 times as long to be reasonably
publishable as reliable data. Further, any data published would still have
been only "basic research" type data, meaning it would not be appropriate to
use this data to formulate concrete belly design protocols, or worse to
confuse others by suggesting that it could be directly applied to a belly.
So I think I'll give the publishing angle a miss.

However, the following are the broad outlines of what i learned which you
can take to your own experiments and validate or discard for yourself.

The 1/3 scale rig consisted of a rib/bridge system whose rib scale and load
values were scaled from a failed rc&s belly I had constructed.

The first step of my plan was to construct the scaled test and run it in
several permutations, and compare it to my spreadsheet predictions of
deflection. The second step was to take the real failed belly, and by
reducing the load from 700lb-250lb in measured steps, come up with
deflection #s for the real belly, again comparing them to spreadsheet
predictions. Third was to compare the behavior of the test to the behavior
of the real belly. (side note: comparison of the failed belly to the scaled
belly was an essential part of the test.)

 Since knowing what loads to assign to each rib is a key part of an rc&s
design, I wanted to understand how to think about "where the string loads
actually go". The design of the experiment seemed a good way to apply actual
loads in real time and see what happened. My initial hypothesis was that
the calculated loads for each rib should be calculated at the physical
places they contacted he bridge.  I expected I would be able to nail down
specific load distribution numbers.

My hypothesis was incorrect; ie, the system is too complex. But I did get a
way to think about loads that was more generally supported by the
experimental results. I'll share just the broad outlines of this, as these
experiments already involve many many unpaid hours or messing about trying
to find ways of understanding belly structure and were structured to make
sense to particular way my brain likes to process information.

Many of you bellymen are way beyond these observations; they are presented
here for those like me who are trying to make sense of this system. All of
the points have been discussed on this list before I think. They point
towards a way of approaching the problem intellectually. They are not
presented as a recipe.

Please remember that the following refers to an *rc&s board only.*

1- deflection of an individual stand alone rib unattached to any bridge
structure is quite linear and conforms to the deflection formulae.
2- the addition of the bridge adds significant stiffness to the structure.
This was not intuitive for me.  The bridge not only evens (bridges) the
loads, but it actually adds stiffness to the rib assembly.
3- the addition of the board and glue down to the rim adds stiffness to the
system
4-There are stiffness losses (though not from compression set as in
compression boards) related to beam relaxation and initial beam
springback(after ribs are removed from the laminating caul)
5-***a biggy*** the deflection of the entire system, ribs/bridge/board/rim,
still behaves in a relatively linear fashion  (remembering that my
experiment refers only to an rc&s board, not a compression board). Which by
the way explains why rc&s structures are not as picky about downbearing as
compression boards
6- ***the punch line*** the load that each rib is expected to carry can be
mathematically be described as a coordinate point in a trend. If that
sounds like greek to you, open up an excel file, enter 2 columns worth of x
and y coordinates,  click on the graph wizard, and graph those points as an
x.y scatterpoint plot. Then add a "trendline" to the plot (this is
all accessible through excel wizards). There are a bunch of trendline
choices, play with the polynomial trends and see what they do to your plot
points.

The big thing I learned from these experiments was that anything we see
happening structurally or tonally will be observed as a trend; ie, a
tendency for things to go a certain way under a certain set of
circumstances. and to progress in an "even" or rather "trended"
fashion.  Look for a "tendency" as opposed to a recipe.

When I ran the tests, the "data" I collected was not only deflection #s.
Equally, or more importantly, with my own eyes, I watched as I saw my
predictions confirmed or negated right on the bench. Since I have a visual
intelligence the combination of all the numerical and visual "data" etched
itself in my brain. Together with the visual nature of the excel
graph/trends, the visual observation and deflection# constructed a way for
my brain to conceptualize the belly's behavior.

So the bottom line, which has also been stated numerous times by seasoned
belly experts on this list, is, the only way to get a handle on the #'s is
to construct a way for your own brain to embrace the complexities involved.
Forget about hard #'s and become comfortable with the concept of
mathematical trends.  Excel is accessible. Mess around with it. Any time you
get stuck the internet has the excel experts answering questions quite
effectively. Ask the list "how to do" specific formulae when you get stuck.
Mess around with excel and mess around some more...its really quite
entertaining.

I hope that doesn't sound coy. Its just the way it is, just like there are
no hard #s for the most beautiful tuning or voicing.

ps. I can post pics of the first test rig(I went through 2 versions of the
test rig) when I get home, if you would like...away visiting right now.

Your fellow traveler,

Jim I
grandpanosolutions.com(almost launched, if IE-7 would stop blowing up)