[pianotech] glues and clamping

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Sun Jan 3 22:29:06 MST 2010

> From: "David Ilvedson" <ilvey at sbcglobal.net>
>
> Which begs the question:  what will loosen the glue joint of PVC-E?   Hot hide with ivory was heat and steam.
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA  94044

Hi David, I usually resort to a heat gun, starting at the rear of the tail, then work under the tail with a sharp, thin putty knife.  The keytop usually slightly curls up due to the plastic softening and the lifting (wedging) action of the putty knife.  Once I get to the front of a one-piece top, I can usually pull the whole keytop off by heating the front and pulling the now-curled head and tail down.

As for why I sometimes have to remove them, well, I do sometimes make an error in notching or trimming, and find the need to redo one.  And, I will anecdotally report that PVC-E glue is pretty tenacious after a day or two!

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh

P. S. - if any newer techs are reading this thread, I would like to point out that the PVC-E glue we are discussing is a totally different chemical than the PVC glue that you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes.  Don't use that home improvement glue, which is for joining PVC pipes, on keytops!  You can buy the proper PVC-E glue for gluing keytops from Pianotek or Schaff.