[pianotech] Earplugs and hearing research for piano technicians

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Mon Jan 4 15:50:28 MST 2010

>> I got a pair from Dianne Hoffstetter a number of years ago.  She spends a
>> lot of time researching "hearing " for us, and is a member of this forum.
>> Why not buy from her? Is she not selling them anymore?    ---Tom Gorley

Thank you for your kind words, Tom.

The motto of the National Hearing Conservation Association is "The best earplug is the one they will wear" And, that is different for each person.

Personally, I hate anything deep into my ear canal, thus the earplugs I use are canal caps.  Others, with tougher, larger ear canals, might prefer the ones that go into the canal deeper and more tightly, such as the Etymotic Research.  ER has done and continues to do incredible research on musicians and their hearing.

I do still sell the canal caps, but am also involved in a lot of research for improving hearing situations for PTG members.  Some of this includes:

The list is new and very small and only has a few writers so far.

2.  Work with the veteran's administration on research in hearing loss.
It would be helpful to know how many technicians are veterans.  I have asked this on this list before and received about a dozen responses.

3.  Conducting hearing testing at PTG monthly meetings, seminars and conventions.

**HOW PIANO TECHNICIANS WHO ARE INTERESTED IN HELPING THEIR COLLEAGUES AND THEMSELVES WITH HEARING PROTECTION AND REMEDIATION CAN HELP:

1.  Join the hearing chatlist--and write.  Share your experiences with others who are searching for answers.
2.  Let me know if you are a veteran.
3. Invite me to your meetings, etc. to do hearing testing.

Diane Hofstetter