[pianotech] Belly Deflection Experiment was reversing crown

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Mon Jan 4 22:33:32 MST 2010

  1- deflection of an individual stand alone rib unattached to any bridge structure is quite linear and conforms to the deflection formulae.
  2- the addition of the bridge adds significant stiffness to the structure. This was not intuitive for me.  The bridge not only evens (bridges) the loads, but it actually adds stiffness to the rib assembly.

  *** Would you please clarify something for me?
  Is the measured deflection described in (#1) and additional stiffness described in (#2) the same measurements?
  Or is there an additional measurement for stiffness that you have not described?
  Regards,
  Gene Nelson