[pianotech] Bluthner Patented Action

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 5 10:31:09 MST 2010

Jan asked: "Hi list, What kind of consequences in tone or value have the following thing.
I want to build in an old Bl?thner (serial 4843) a modern action.

My opinion is a modern action when it's regulated well , easier and more nuances has than the Bl?thner patent action. Is this correct or not? When there more energy goes to the hammer , less friction the tone should be better. But is it permitted to remove the original action from this kind of instrument. What does it with the value of the instrument historical and in money or isn't it too say?"

Jan,
It is possible to convert to a modern action, but the amount of money and effort it requires is not cost effective, IMO. There are many who prefer the nuances of the Viennese action, which is what I suspect you are referring to.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I