[pianotech] PVC-E glue

perrys piano restorations perrymark at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 5 20:48:37 MST 2010

Hey Guys.... I like glue questions so I thought I'd inject some useless info.

Elmers GLUE-ALL is similar to PVC-E in that it is a "school-glue" with vinyl (hot glue sticks) and the distillation of acetate to disolve that vinyl.

Elmers school glue, well, thats just flour and sour milk.  A gluten glue, similar to hide glue, but hide glue is a protein glue.  This is why you see the cow on the bottle!  otherwise they would have that camel smoking a cigarette.  (also why school kids eat the stuff).  If you buy chinese school glue, it is made with rice flower.  No cow on the bottle, and tastes like sticky rice with a hint of soy sauce and a dash of ginger.

PVC-E glue works as a base to dis-similar products because the vinyl leaves the glue flexible.  It is useless as a veneer glue because the veneer will "creep" under a flexible glue such as PVC-E, or even yellow glue.  But, the vinyl in "glue-all" is the same vinyl in PVC-E glue, which is why they act the same.  My guess is that the stuff sold for keytops from schaff contains much more vinyl, and it is better suited.

Hope this is helpful.

God Bless,

Mark Perry