[pianotech] Best way to change touch on Yamaha Grand

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Wed Jan 6 13:41:43 MST 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> William Monroe wrote:
>

>>  So in the end, I'm not entirely wrong, yes?  At /f/
>
>> or /ff/ blows, a heavier key stick would "resist" that initial change of
>> direction that starts the key moving (and all subsequent changes in
>> direction) more than a lighter key stick, right?
>>

> Yes. The question is by how much relative to the hammer weight.

OK.

>  If I get your meaning, it is more a question of usefulness, in that unless
>> someone is playing rather heavy handedly (which an arthritic is not likely
>> to be) the small changes of inertia we can affect would be inconsequential,
>> and in fact be outweighed most of the time by the added DW, right?
>>

> In my world, no, since I don't believe the "faster than free fall" thing.
> My point is to not even consider the key leads until everything else in the
> action is addressed. The current tendency to start with the key leads to
> reduce inertia is, in my physics, backward. Excess leading will affect
> repetition, because the repetition spring can only lift so much mass
> quickly, but it's not the cause of down stroke inertial resistance at any
> play level. Get the hammer weight and action ratio somewhere near right
> first, then see what you need to do with the leading.
>
> Again, my call.
> Ron N

Right.  I wasn't suggesting starting with leading.  From my initial post, my
thinking was that after addressing all the other things I suggested
(friction, hammer weight, geometry) that a reduction in inertia might give
some relief.  So it seems you're saying that if you've attended to
everything else, a simple reduction in mass of the key stick won't gain you
anything, correct?

William R. Monroe