[pianotech] Bluthner soundboard problems?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Jan 6 14:24:11 MST 2010

One of my regular clients, a local pharmacist who is an accomplished
pianist, called me yesterday. His 1936 Bluthner grand was about due for
tuning, but he was concerned about extraneous noises he could hear when
playng certain notes.  He played a few over the phone but I couldn't
hear what he meant.

So I went along today (he lives very near me) to find out what was
what.  I couldn't at first hear what he was referring to, then I got it.
A very high-pitched ringing, or buzzing, a "feather" on the edge of the
decay of the wave envelope.  In addition, in the treble, a "tapping"
sound with quite a few notes.
I think both phenomena may be down to the same cause, which I'll come to
in a moment.

I checked the bridge pins on the most "offending" notes. Solid. Seated
the strings across the bridge with my thumb.  Tuned the unisons
carefully.  Not much difference. Checked hammer fit to strings - even.
Hammers need refacing mind you, and because he is a good pianist and
uses the una corda pedal, the hammer have six grooves, not three.
Refaced the "worst offender". Not much difference.

So: Examination of the soundboard shows two hairline cracks, one quite
long and visible because the edges seem discoloured, which makes me
think it may be an old fissure, the other VERY hairline, and shorter.  I
listened from above and below the soundboard while he played individual
notes and some Rachmaninov.  Listening to the problem sounds, they were
clearly worse in the Rachmaninov than in the single notes.  So: I
conclude that the problem is the soundboard cracks and worse when
complex Rachmaninov being played, as larger and more complex movements
required of the soundboard.

The tapping sound in the treble, I felt might be due to loose hammer
flange screws, and so it proved. So at least I was able to get rid of
that particular annoyance!

Now, why has the customer only noticed this "feather on the sound"
phenomenon over the last week or two?  (He's had the piano about 5
years).  My theory for what it's worth, is this:  We are currently
having the longest sustained cold snap in this area for years. Other
parts of the Britain are getting many inches of snow, but right here, it
snowed a couples of weeks ago, and has frozen ever since.  I believe
what may have happened is that ambient humidity may have gone down
considerably (there is no  frost on the car in the mornings now, as no
moisture in the air to condense and freeze).  I suggested to the
customer that lower ambient humidity could have aggravated the effect of
the soundboard fissures. In addition, it might have affected the hammer
flange screws.

As an experiement, I have suggested that he put a wet towel on a stool
under the soundboard, just to see what happens.

In the meantime, I would appreciate advice about what might be done with
the soundboard?  The very narrow splits are not nearly wide enough to
shim.  What, if anything, might be done?

The customer took some pics while I was there and emailed them to me,
and I am attaching a couple.

Many thanks,

David Boyce.