[pianotech] Action Ratios

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jan 6 18:17:27 MST 2010

You wrote the following so I used that as a guide in my previous post:

.S = (V x Ra x N x W) / (H x Rs x K) = (245 x 67 x 18.25 x 44) / (126 x 94 x
141) = 7.89 mm which is the theoretical key dip minus aftertouch. Thus
aftertouch = 2.61 mm. Said another way; dip prior to aftertouch is 75% of
the key stroke, while aftertouch accounts for the remaining 25%...

So let me restate the question.

The products of RAs/EAs can be figured by physical measurement of the three
levers and will produce some number known as the action ratio.

The right side of the equation which you refer to as W/S is not arbitrary
however if you assign a number to the S then you can calculate W based on
the number that R/S must produce from your products of RA/EA.  Since you
implied that aftertouch accounts for about 25% of the total dip, I took 10mm
as the target dip and subtracted 2.5 mm (25%) and assigned the value S as
7.5.  If S = 7.5 then if the product of RAs/EAs = 5.5, W must equal 7.5 x
5.5.  But, as you can see, the theoretical key dip minus aftertouch with
such an action does not produce a W number that makes much sense.

So,

Let's change the question and assume that the action is in compliance, i.e.
the elevations and convergence lines are within reason.  Let's say I want an
action that regulates with 10 mm total did and 46 mm blow distance.  What
action ratio by the products of RAs/ EAs will produce that result.  Another
way to ask this is how much total hammer travel is necessary as a percentage
of the target blow distance.  For example, with an action whose ratio by
products is 5.0, 10 mm of dip will produce a total of 50 mm of hammer travel
(if the hammer travel were unimpeded by let off).  If the target blow
distance is 46 mm then the total potential hammer travel equals 109% of the
desired blow distance (50/46 expressed as a percentage).  Is that enough?
Can that number be used as a rule of thumb?  If so, then by setting up an
equality whose left side is the product of RAs/EAs, you can calculate the
blow distance/key dip by choosing an arbitrary target key dip and the
calculate the total amount of potential hammer travel and see whether or not
it meets the requirements of 109% of the target blow distance.

Let's say that the action ratio by products is 5.0 (keep it simple here) and
the target is 46 blow and 10 mm dip.  We can calculate that 10 mm dip will
produce 50 mm of hammer travel and we can see that 50/46 = 109% and we are
in business.  But let's say we need 48 mm of hammer travel for some reason
but we still want 10 mm dip. Then we see that 10 mm dip produces hammer
travel of only 104% of targeted blow distance-not enough.  So we have to
increase the key dip (or raise the hammer line).  How much?  We can figure
out that 10.5 mm dip will produce 52.5 mm hammer travel and see that 52.5/48
in fact equals 109% .  So if we need 48 mm blow distance we will need to
increase the key dip to 10.5 mm.

So now the question is, can we use the percentage produced by total hammer
travel/blow distance as a guide for the right side of the equation to
determine whether or not a particular action ratio will produce the desired
regulation requirements.  If so, what should that percentage be?  109%,
105%, 115%?   Or what is the range?  Or is this a valid way to do this at
all?

That's my question.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com